DIY: How to make Boozy Gummy Bears

on Thursday, January 16, 2014

I've been seeing a lot of these Boozy Gummy Bears pop up on pinterest and I couldn't resist having a shot to see how well it actually turned out! For this DIY I decided to trial a few different kinds of spirits and worms as well as bears to see what came of it. The bears are just your standard Haribo variety which I can tell you now work a treat. Marks & Spencers' Colin the Caterpillar (my favourite kind of wiggly worm) didn't take to this at all... It must be something to do with the gods of gelatine, so if you're a veggie and wanting to give this a shot, try and get as close to the real thing as you can :)


Many of the tutorials involved flavoured vodka, which I can imagine works super well and is defo worth trying out. I opted to hark back to my past and bought a bottle of Apple Sourz; not only does it remind me of my student days, but I'm totally addicted to that fake apple taste. I figured if I was going to make alcoholic candy, I may as well go all out and make it real classy ;)


Whilst my main batch of bears was soaking in that, I also tried a few cocktail options to see how they came out. A few lined cupcake cases work perfect if you fancy testing out a few different combinations without breaking the bank. So, all you need to do is pop your bears in a bowl or jar, put in enough booze to cover them all, clingfilm / saran wrap closed and sit them in your fridge for 2 to 3 days till the alcohol has virtually gone. I found that it was good to give them a stir each day so ensure each one got good coverage and I wasn't left with a big gummy lump at the end!


Cocktail Flavours:
Orange Bears + Sailor Jerry
Raspberry Bears + Hendricks Gin
Pineapple Bear + Chambord 

The Verdict? These bears have got some kick to them! The Apple Sourz ones turned out really well, the flavour is perfect for those of you with a sweet tooth and a love of candy. I really enjoyed the Sailor Jerry flavoured ones too, but their not for the faint hearted. If you're not into strong spirits I would say this flavour is not for you. Being a lover of our local Hendricks Gin, I couldn't resist giving this a bash; it's still quite a strong kick, but I foreseeing these being made again in the future. Unfortunately our Chambord bears weren't as successful as the previous flavours. I'm pretty certain this is to do with the consistency; it's quite a thick liquor and therefor harder to be absorbed. They still taste lovely, but there was a lot of left over alcohol from the trial. I do like how the clear bears are now pinkish though! That is a top tip for next time - maybe a little flavoured vodka and some food colouring for themed parties!

Taste aside, the sweets themselves have definitely grown in size and are still quite gummy in consistency. They're more jelly like when you first bite into them and then get more chewy towards the centre. Good times if you ask me!


Overall, I'm really pleased with these and will defo be making them for adult parties in the future. They're a great throw back and really novel, but remember not to put these on the table if there's going to be anyone under 18 / 21 in the room! 

Also, I think they look totally fab when in a jar - wouldn't they make a great hostess gift? Or how about whiskey ones for your boyfriend on Valentines Day... or even your dad on Fathers Day... Oh! Gin on Mothers Day too :D As you can switch up the flavours the possibilities are endless. I think I might try popping some in a glass of lemonade to see how that turns out. How fun!

We'd love to hear what combos you think are worth trying!

Remember to eat your candy responsibly.

Happy Making
xox
Follow us

0 comments:

Post a Comment