DIY: Birthday Cake Bark Recipe

on Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Make every day feel like your birthday with this delicious Birthday Cake Bark recipe! 
I finally got my hands on some vibrant sprinkles - I've been after these for ages and had to order them online (in the UK we only have bland coloured ones, no doubt because of naughty E numbers!) And to celebrate I've whipped up a fresh batch of Birthday Cake Bark :D A ridiculously easy diy that's bound to bring even the grumpiest of people a smile...


In America there is so many awesome boxes of Funfetti cake batter - thats how everyone is making adorable cakes with sprinkles in them. Multicoloured happiness in a box! Unfortunately here, we don't have such a concoction. Our cake batter is a yellow colour for a start as the ingredients haven't been bleached (truth!), so if you try sticking sprinkles into a standard batter, it'll probably turn out tinged green and a little bit sad. I've only heard of sad tales from friends and thus have been royally put off!

Needless to say, I'm not going to give up on bringing some funfetti joy into my life :P In the spirit of chasing rainbows, this little recipe is quick, easy and definitely very Vivid!


You'll need:
100g White Chocolate
1 heaped tablespoon cake mix (sifted)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence (add more as you go along if you have a sweeter tooth!)

I thought it would be best to start you off with a small batch *I say you, I mean me - I won't be sharing* but this recipe is easy to make for people in their hundreds by doubling up :) Do your worst!

To make, break up the white chocolate into small pieces and place in a heatproof bowl over boiling water (a bain-marie). Stir until the chocolate has melted and take off the heat. Add in the cake mix (I used just a regular sponge mix, nothing too fancy) and stir until mixed well. Finally, add in the vanilla essence and give it another good stir. The mixture might be a little bit grainy, but it shouldn't have any lumps or anything in it (sifting helps!). Have a little taste to see if you need a little more vanilla or cake mix; mine is pretty sweet already, but it depends how big your celebration is ;)

Once you're happy with the flavour, pour the mixture out onto a tray lined with a baking sheet. Using a spatula, spread out the mixture till it's 0.5 cm thick (I like my bark like shards!) and go WILD with those sprinkles! Give them a gentle pat down when you're done to make sure they're stuck in and set aside to harden in a cool place (takes around an hour)

*TA*DA*
It's like Jazzies! Now all you need to do is eat it :B Cute, sweet and oh so darling - definitely a treat worth ordering sprinkles for!

Happy Making!

PS! If anyone fancy's sending me some of that Funfetti cake mix, I'll trade you a print :B

Follow us

0 comments:

Post a Comment