Comic Con Scotland

on Monday, September 9, 2013

This weekend we went to the big Comic Con in Glasgow and it was a total riot! People made a big effort to dress up and get involved in the spirit of things which was really cool to see. For me, the Best Costume Award definitely goes to this team who dressed up as Finn & Fiona from Adventure Time - aren't they the cutest? They even have Jake & Cake... I know, it's so amazing it hurts!


There was a huge amount of stuff to see at the event including lots of Japanese anime stuff and a vast amount of vintage comic books to flick through. It's so easy to get carried away and spend a fortune! David snagged a couple of vintage Wonder Woman comics and a few Batman ones written by Grant Morrison for his collection. We actually got the chance to see Grant talk at the Edinburgh Book Festival this year which was really interesting. He's one of those people who can just talk about anything and make it interesting -- I guess that's why he's such a good story writer! 


Check out these amazing Comic Con cupcakes! They had everything you could imagine on this table of treats, including Daleks, Pikachu, Despicable Me minions, Adventure Time dudes... you name it they had it! It really made me want to throw a massive party so I have an excuse to make some for myself. It must have taken so long to do make them all - I'm not sure I'd want to see them get eaten if I'd spent hours making all the faces! 


There was also a lot of cool collectable stuff like these Lego characters. These things go for a total fortune! I guess they're so expensive because you can only get them when you buy the full Lego sets, but there is a real demand for them individually. I was really surprised to see such a diverse collection of stuff available at the convention as I expected it to be a lot more geeky and 'boyish' if you know what I mean. David is much more into this stuff than I am but I actually had a total blast :) 


We got to meet a lot of new and upcoming comic book writers and illustrators too, which for me was the highlight of the day. It was so cool to see as many girls as there was guys creating their own comics and selling them. It sound's so stereotypical but I really didn't expect to see that! And their work was all super amazing too - it's enough to make you want to get involved and make your own :D


Some of my awesome swag includes a super cute Finn plushy *obsessed*, illustrations by Never Ever After and Harmful Raes and the cutest comic book ever by Sarah Graley who is totally worth girl crushing over :) I'm really looking forward to following these ladies and seeing what they get up to in the future - I think they're all going to do spectacularly well so you should defo check them out!

Follow us

0 comments:

Post a Comment