Featured: The Dorothy Days

on Thursday, March 22, 2012


This week's feature is hosted by the lovely Rachel from The Dorothy Days vintage and handmade shop.  
If you are looking for the prettiest tea cups, this is the place to go!

Tell us a bit about yourself
My name is Rachel and I run The Dorothy Days, a vintage and handmade shop from England. I have had a passion for vintage since my teenage years. I loved the idea of owning something from days gone by, with history and having something a bit more unique and individual than the high street. While at university studying for my Art History degree I realised that vintage items were not only more unique and individual but were also more affordable and often of better quality than what we see on the high street so I ditched the high street and went vintage! For me, buying vintage items is not so much about collecting but rather having beautiful items which I can wear and use. My house is now an eclectic mix of different styles and eras and is rather like an Aladdin’s cave of vintage items. My particular love is vintage English teacups, I use them to decorate and display, as tea light holder and to drink from (tea just tastes so much better from a vintage tea cup!)


A few years ago I decided to turn my passion into a business and started to sell vintage items at different vintage fairs in England then in August last year I decided to launch The Dorothy Days online shop on Etsy which is combination of my two loves…vintage and handmade. I have really enjoyed running the business and the community feel of Etsy. I started my blog at the beginning of this year and it is something I find really enjoyable. It’s great to be able to connect with customers and other buyers and sellers on Etsy. I blog about all different types of things and every Thursday I feature a different shop and seller from Etsy on my blog. 



 Are the items you sell inspired by what is popular or based more on your personal style and interests?
The items I sell in my shop are extremely influenced by my personal tastes, style and interests. I discovered early on that I find it really difficult to sell things that I do not like. Part of running a business is being excited and passionate about what you do and I can only do that if I love the things I am selling. I only problem with this is the temptation to keep what I am selling!



What has been your biggest challenge so far?
My biggest challenge so far I would say is getting to grips with social media. Twitter and Facebook were totally new to me and I had never used it before I started my shop but now I have got to grips with it I really enjoy using it and it’s a great tool to connect with people from all around the world. I was really pleasantly surprised with how quickly and how many people ‘liked’ my page and it was such a boost to know that people like what I am doing. Whenever someone leaves a comment it really makes me smile.

When you're having a crap day, what do you find motivates you?
When I am having a rubbish day I make myself a large cup of tea from one of my favourite vintage cups ( I am particularly fond of green tea at the moment), get into my comfy pyjamas and slippers and wrap up in my duvet on the sofa. It is a magic combination and makes me focus again and get motivated to work on my Etsy shop, blog, twitter and facebook page.

What have you found to be the best piece of advice you've been given?
To never give up even when things get a bit tricky or stressful and to do something that excites you and you are passionate about.


How can we find you?
(click the links)


Tell us what your guilty pleasure is?
My guilty pleasures would have to be Madonna! I love listening to her songs and singing along at the top of my very out of tune voice! My other guilty pleasure is one I discovered recently, it’s the most amazing dark chocolate made with cranberries. It is delicious and I am addicted!!!

Thanks for taking the time to share such an inspirational post with us today Rachel! 
We are gasping for a brew and sweet treat now :)

Be sure to check out The Dorothy Days shop and snap up your own vintage treasure...
And if you pop over to the blog now you can learn all about us from interview too!

If you would like to be featured on www.vividplease.me be sure to follow our blog and leave us a comment with your link below...


Happy Thursday Everyone

0 comments:

Post a Comment