Featured: Blue Jacaranda

on Thursday, April 12, 2012


This week's feature is hosted by the lovely Linda from Blue Jacaranda, a design shop based in Brisbane, Australia.  If you are looking for screen print works of art, this is the place to go!


Tell us a bit about yourself
My name is Linda Robertus. Originally I am from the Netherlands, but I have been living with my family in Brisbane, Australia, since 2007. My shop is called Blue Jacaranda, because in our first year here in Brisbane I fell in love with the jacaranda trees with their purple flowers. The 'blue' in Blue Jacaranda is a reference to my Dutch background (think Delft Blue) - although I later discovered that the tree is actually called 'Blue Jacaranda'! I have been making art quilts since 2007 and often use silk screen printed images in my quilts. I enjoyed screen printing so much that I started to do it more and more,
and this led to opening my shop, Blue Jacaranda. Here you can find my original designs screen printed on fabric Art Cards, ACEOs (mini art cards) and t-shirts, and stretched on canvas. I also sell some other textile-based items: art quilts, burlap
coffee cards and bookmarks, children’s aprons, luggage and gift tags, chalk cloth placemats.


Are the items you sell inspired by what is currently popular or based more on your personal style and interests?
They are definitely based on my personal style and interests. I have never been very interested in current crazes and would find it hard to create things that do not really speak to me personally.

What has been your biggest challenge so far?
Finding the time to create items and to market them! I have three boys aged nine, seven and five; I work part time as a data manager and am also a part time PhD candidate, so efficient time management is essential! (not watching TV helps a lot)


When you're having a crap day, what do you find motivates you? 
I have learned from bitter experience that when I am having a bad day it’s no use to try to create something, as things are sure to go wrong and my mood will get even worse. The best thing to do at such a time is to sit down and read a good book. I love reading and it always puts me back in a good mood. Afterwards I might be able to create something again – except that it’s usually time for bed then!


How can we find you?
(click the links)

Tell us what your guilty pleasure is...
A glass of rosé and a piece of white chocolate!

Thanks for taking the time to share such a great post with us today Linda! 
I doubt we could stop at just one piece of white chocolate though...

Be sure to check out the Blue Jacaranda shop and snap up your own piece of art.
You can also read our interview with Linda here.
We hope you enjoyed today's Feature post!
Happy Thursday


0 comments:

Post a Comment