DIY: How To Make Mountain Jewellery - Inspired By Twin Peaks!

on Monday, February 18, 2013

Lately we've been watching a lot of Twin Peaks here at Vivid HQ; we are big fans of Agent Cooper and that inspiringly weird little town. Every time we watch it we discover something new and it takes on a whole new story. It's just brilliant! 
I couldn't resist creating a little DIY in homage to our obsession. How about some Twin Peak rings and brooches? Pretty awesome I'd say. Grab yourself a coffee and a slice of pie - we've got some making to do...


I was given this odd little wooden star ages ago, and I've never really known what to do with it till now. It's been crying out for a diy action and I feel I'm finally ready to make use of it :) You can make these wooden mountains with pretty much any old piece of wood. All you need to do is mark some triangles in pencil and give it a saw... 


The project would work best with wood that's not too thick as you don't want it to catch on everything and make your life a pain. Having said that, you can always saw it in half if you have a little patience. Take your time and beware of splinters! This is the trickiest part, but it will be over before you know it. Once you've cut out your mountains, make sure to give them a little sand when your done - no one likes a snagged jumper.


Using your pencil again, mark out where your snow peaks are going to be. Mix up some acrylic paint and go to town on them. It's easier to start with the light snow colour first, then paint in the dark stone. It's much harder to turn a dark colour light than a light colour dark if you make any mistakes. 


Lovely!
I've done the front and the sides for now; I'll finish painting the backs once I've glued their fixings on. I decided to add in a few dots of snow for some cliff like detail. Don't be afraid to experiment with yours When you're done painting, allow them to dry completely so they don't get smudged.


To make sure your paint doesn't run in the rain, you'll need to seal it. It would be best to use wood varnish for this, but as I don't have any of that, I'm using Mod Podge. A basic coating of pva glue will protect the art from minor abuse ;)


Once your white glue has dried, you're ready to glue on your backings. You can pick these up in a good craft or jewellery store - failing that Ebay has everything! I'm using a hot glue gun to attach the brooch back and two ring backings. Experiment with some super glue if you don't have one of these.
Once the glue has hardened and the fixings are attached, remember to finish the backings if you haven't already.


*Ta*Da*
What do you think of my new Twin Peaks rings? Pretty cute considering they were but a bit of old wood 40 minutes ago! I adore quirky jewellery so these are right up my street...


For those of you more interested in cardigan candy, they look fabulous pinned on to your lapel too! My little mountain has gotten so many compliments - not many people wear landmarks after all! Plus they're a great conversational piece as everyone has an opinion on that show... So many fans even though it aired in the 90s - just goes to show that a good idea can inspire generations :)

We hope you have a lot of fun working on our little tutorial! We'd love to hear from you if you're addicted to the show too :)

Happy Making!
xox


Follow us

0 comments:

Post a Comment