Vintage Spectacles Tips & Advice

on Friday, October 12, 2012


As you will have noticed, we have a bit of a thing for glasses! 

I've been wearing spectacles since I was 12 years old, and it took me some time to find my feet in what style I wanted to rock. Let me tell you now, my early decisions were bad ones! It took me a few years to work out that chunky black frames were my cup of tea, then a few more to fully embrace my love of wing-tips. I often get asked about them, so today I thought I would take some time out to answer your questions :D


Q: Are your glasses real?

A: Yes, they certainly are. They are genuine vintage frames with prescription lenses in them, and they are worth every penny! I can honestly tell you that they don't make them like they used to. I've had 'off the shelf' frames that have only lasted me a year, whereas these bad boys didn't just make it past the 50's, they've made a few years through my lifetime too!


Q: Where do you get them?

A: If you're lucky you can find them in vintage shops, but to be fair that's rarely the case. I've come across several in my time, but often they are a little too worn or aren't the best style and shape. Your best bet is online, namely Etsy and Ebay. You can also find pretty reproduction specs in online stores like retrospecs but they can get pretty expensive!


Q: What are your top tips for people looking to buy vintage glasses?

A: Most importantly, take your time in choosing them. I've been lucky in that I've managed to get my frames really cheap considering their quality and age, but these things are a big investment. If you are going to splash the cash, make sure you love them first. Most people aren't used to seeing such amazing glasses out and about and often like to ask you about them. They tend to want to branch out and do the same so you're bound to have found a kindred spirit :) Share the love!

If you're looking online, you'll need to make sure they're going to fit your face. The easiest way to get your measurements is to measure from a pair of glasses that already fit you well, but a ruler and a mirror is also helpful. You'll need the bridge measurement (over your nose) and the width across your face. Vintage glasses tend to be very small indeed - somewhere along the line our heads have gotten considerably bigger!! - so the width of your head is crucial. Once you've found a pair you love, make sure you also measure the depth of the frames; some will be stupidly tiny and may look ridiculous!

If in doubt, try them on. If you're a dab hand on a laptop then Photoshop will be your bestie. Otherwise, print out a picture of you and a picture of the frames and cut them out. Make sure to size both properly first so you get a good idea of how you'll look.


Finally, the most important thing is that you take very good care of them.
Take them to your local opticians to get lensed; these frames are fragile and you want to make sure they are in safe hands. There is always a risk when getting vintage glasses lensed, but most of the time you will be fine. Make sure you are gentle with them; always fold them properly to sit them down and never put them on the top of your head as you'll be putting extra strain on the hinges.
Last, but not least, don't fall asleep with them on. That may sound stupid, but it happens. If you feel like you're drifting off, take them off. Otherwise you might do something you'll regret!

Find the right pair and you will look just spectacular!
I hope my little post helps you on your quest for your dream specs. They will become your best friend and your favorite accessory before you know it :)

Catch ya later four eyes!


0 comments:

Post a Comment