Top 5 Scary Movies

on Monday, October 21, 2013



As many of you will know, I'm a massive fan of Halloween. It's not big in Scotland like it is in America, but that doesn't stop me from getting in the spirit of things. This week I thought I would share a few blog posts to get you in the mood for the greatest holiday of the year (...bar Christmas! Equals at best :P) Today I'm going to share our favourite Scary Movies. David and I watch a crazy amount of these - I particularly love being scared witless and have done for as long as I can remember so I think it's fair to say we've sat through enough to know which ones will be spot on for hallows eve. I'm not going to mess you about with totally obscure stuff (that's no fun for anyone), I thought I would just show you some absolute classics that'll have you sat on the end of your seats. So, without further adieu, here are our

Top 5 Scary Movies


The Shining
Jack Nicholson's face alone is enough to keep me awake at night! This film is a total classic and one you should be ashamed of if you've not seen it. Jack takes his family to a massive hotel in the middle of nowhere to get some peace to write his new book and make some money as they'll be the only one's there maintaing it out of season. Being a creative person who works alone a lot of the time, I fear for the day I type the sentence "all work and no play makes Vicky a..." erm... you know what I'm saying!
This film actually had a documentary made about it too called Room 237 where they look into the cryptic meanings behind the film. It's amazing.


Psycho
No, not the remake with Vince Vaughan (seriously, Vince Vaughn!!) But the original film made by movie legend Alfred Hitchcock in 1960. This was the first horror film I ever watched and loved. I found out about it when I was about 12 and my Mum told me the story. She said it kept her awake for days and she couldn't take a shower in a hotel for a really long time. She grew up in a hotel, so you can imagine how gross that could have been! This is the story about a creepy guy who runs a motel in the middle of nowhere (mandatory it seems!) and seems to have a challenging relationship with his mother. Well, you could say challenging... Anyhow, this is one of the first ever films made where the lead character dies within the first 30 minutes of a film. Sorry for the spoiler! Totally worth the fact though :) Oh! And it's Jamie Lee Curtis's mum!

*Could move onto Halloween for smooth link but decide to pick a better movie*
(Sorry Jamie!)


Friday 13th
Again, the original, not the remake. In all honesty you wont find me enjoying many remakes - you just can't beat the originals! 90% of the time the remake is total tosh and just a quick way for the film industry to rinse you of money. ANYHOW, this film only has one scary bit in it (if you ask me! I don't frighten that easily.) I found the rest of it absolutely hysterical as it's very VERY 1980s. A bunch of teens including Kevin Bacon (!) are attempting to open an abandoned (ahem) kids camp and it all gets a bit out of hand when a certain someone comes back to haunt them. It's a slasher, but worth the banter.

Paranormal Activity (1-3, 4 was crap.)
You know, I really wasn't keen on watching new horror movies as I kinda feel like they milk the jumps too much. Having been recommended this series by a fellow scary film nut, David and I were intrigued. Don't get me wrong, there are a few cheap thrills in these, but it's totally worth the watch. I didn't watch them in order and they were still great, so don't let sequence put you off. It's one of the very few supernatural films I actually enjoyed - I like a classic killer story - but beware, you're going to want to put a camera in your bedroom after you watch this. Or totally never do that EVER. Is ignorance bliss? You'll start questioning that after these flicks.

Ok, the last spot, and this is tricky because there are so many good films I'd like to include in this blog post! I'm going to go with is *drum roll please*



Rosemary's Baby
I really love this movie. Mia Farrow plays Rosemary, who's just moved into a new apartment with her actor husband and the neighbours are 'a little full on'. It's simple but really tense and defo makes you question that random cupboard you have in the hallway by the end of it! I'm certain the makers of Paranormal Activity must have loved it too because there is quite a connection going on. I dread the day they try to remake it -- seemingly it's only a matter of time!

So, if you're looking to have a movie night this Halloween or even just get in the mood in the run up to the big day, I hope you've found a little inspiration from our top 5 list :) There are soooo many more amazing horror films that I'd love to add to this list.... Maybe there will be a sequel... Top 5 Scary Movies Part 2! We'll you can't end a post on horror movies without leaving the door open for a follow up, now can you?

Happy Fright Night!
Follow us

0 comments:

Post a Comment